The golden spice used in your favorite curry dish is more than just delicious, it has amazing benefits for your health & life. Scientist have done countless studies on Turmeric and it has proven time & time again to be one of the most powerful spices on the planet. Today I want to tell you my Top 5, everyday, uses for Turmeric!
The first use is SKINCARE.
Turmeric’s anti-inflammatory properties & antibacterial benefits make it a great component for skincare. Some of the benefits of turmeric are glowing skin, clearing up acne, evening skin tone, reduce dark circles….the list goes on! Turmeric stimulates circulation, causing puffiness & under-eye darkness to brighten. Its anti oxidative power can improve the function of skin membrane cells to help heal and prevent stretch marks. Additionally, turmeric can hydrate and rejuvenate skin and eliminate dryness.
Some of my favorite treatments with turmeric are as follows:
- Blackhead Paste: Simply combine turmeric powder with enough water to make a thick paste. Once finished, apply it all over your face (avoiding eye area). Let sit for 10 minutes and then wash off. Note that some people do experience a slight yellow stain to their face, it will come off within 24 hours & should be easily concealed with coverup. This is my favorite to use for removing blackheads on my nose.
- Brighten & Detoxifying Mask: This 4-ingredient mask is amazing! You’ll need 1tsp greek yogurt, 1/2 tsp honey, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder & a few drops of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). After combining the ingredients you’ll apply the mask evenly on your face, avoiding the eye area. Let sit for 15 minutes & then remove with warm water & a wash cloth. (This could die your skin and the wash cloth)
- Stretch Mark Healing Paste: Combine 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil + 1 tsp of turmeric + 1/8 lemon juice, then rub the mixture onto stretch marks.
My Second favorite use for Turmeric is for TEETH WHITENING.
On top of whitening, turmeric can reduce the risk of gum disease, as well as, gum pain & inflammation. Although these are great benefits, Turmeric should not be used in leu of your normal tooth-brushing regimen. Also, note that your toothbrush may turn yellow from brushing with turmeric.
Turmeric Recipes for your Teeth:
- Whitening Paste: Mix turmeric powder with water to create a thick paste. With your finger, rub the paste all over your teeth. Let sit for 10 minutes. You may need to continuously spit during this. After the 10 minutes brush the remaining paste all over your teeth. Rinse all turmeric off and follow up with brushing with regular tooth paste.
- Turmeric Toothpaste: 1/4 tsp turmeric powder + 1/8 tsp melted Coconut oil + 1/4 tsp baking soda + 2 drops of mint extract for flavor. (Again you should still use a normal tooth paste, in addition to this)
Turmeric for Weight Loss & Health.
Your body looses weight easier when it does not have to fight inflammation. Curcumin, is an antioxidant, found in turmeric. This element helps suppress inflammatory messaging in muscle, fat & pancreatic cells. By this occurring in the body, blood pressure can be reduced, high cholesterol, high blood sugar & other metabolic conditions can be reduced, as well. Turmeric is not a cure all for weight loss, but it can help if implemented in your daily intake.
Turmeric’s same component, Curcumin, also helps inflammation relieve symptoms of depression. Studies show that chronic inflammation goes hand in hand with depression. Many studies use turmeric alone or combined with other herbs, such as saffron. Symptoms may not disappear right away and as always, you should consult with your doctor about this form of treatment.
You can add turmeric to any smoothie, drink or meal. There are also turmeric pills or supplements that you can take in leu of adding it to your meal.
Lastly, I lean on turmeric as an anti-inflammatory.
As I have mentioned through this whole post, turmeric has an anti-inflammation component. Adding turmeric to your daily diet can fight against RA, Heartburn, Joint Pain, IBS, Alzheimer’s & Kidney problems. I use turmeric supplements to help with my joint pain when I have been working out extra hard and it starts taking a toll on my knees.
I hope this has been super helpful to you. I know it was pretty lengthy. Of course my favorite uses for turmeric are for my skin but you can’t beat the benefits your overall body will have. Plus, you can not beat the price!
Leave a Reply